Quests in Path of Exile are very simplistic, as we are already accustomed to from similar online game. This article will give you an overview of quest objectives just in case you missed something in game. It’s always best to finish all possible quests within an act, as some give out rewards you don’t want to miss out on, such as skill gems, respec points or even permanent stat bonuses and passive skill points. Some missions can also be completed in more than one way and may have different rewards, so if you’re ever in doubt be sure to find your quest in this guide and read about it.
Enemy at the Gate
- This quest is given to you upon meeting Hillock at the end of Twilight Strand; Defeating him will grant you access to Lioneye’s Watch (first NPC hub).
- Talk to Tarkleigh in Lioneye’s Watch to claim your first skill gem as reward.
- This quest log is given to you by Bestel in Lioneye’s Watch.
- It requires you to travel to Tidal Island (entrance located in Terraces -> Tidal Island) and locate then kill Hailrake the Scavenger
- His corpse will contain the quest item Medicine Chest.
- Return to the Lioneye’s Watch and talk to Nessa to receive a (difficulty based) unidentified magical flask as well as Tarkleigh for a skill gem as your reward.
- This is an optional quest and you might want to skip it in Cruel and Merciless difficulties until you get a few more levels.
Breaking Some Eggs
- This quest is given to you upon discovering your first Glyph within one of the three Rhoa Nest (appearing a bright green dot on your map) located within the Mud Flats (entrance located in Terraces -> Mud Flats).
- Once you have collected all three Glyph proceed to the Strange Glyph Wall which will open up the way for you to progress to the Submerged Passage LvL1.
- Tip: All three glyph locations are connected by the same water stream.
- Talk to Tarkleigh in the Lioneye’s Watch to claim your skill gem reward.
A Dirty Job
- This mission is given to you upon meeting with the unique necromancer boss Kadavrus the Defiler within the Fetid pool (entrance located in Terraces -> Mud Flat) -> Fetid Pool).
- Defeat him in order for your quest log to be updated ; You will now be requested to eliminate all monsters within the area.
- Once you have done so, retun to the Lioneye’s Watch and talk to Tarkleigh to receive 2 respec points.
- Optional quest which is pretty hard in Cruel and Merciless — you can skip it and come back later when you gain a few more levels.
The Dweller of the Deep
- This quest is given to you by Tarkleigh after completing the previous quest Breaking some Eggs.
It requires you to travel to the Flooded Depths (entrance located within the Submerged Passage) then kill The Deep Dweller (unique giant crab).
- Retun to the Lioneye’s Watch and talk to Tarkleigh to receive 1 free skill point as reward.
- Optional quest, although not hard to complete. Be sure to pick up the waypoint in Submerged Passage if you intend to go back!
The Caged Brute
- This quest is given to you by Tarkleigh upon accessing The Ledge (entrance located at the exit of the Submerged Passage LvL 2) or alternatively by meeting with Brutus in the Upper Prison
- This is one of the longest quest to complete as in order to get to Brutus and slay him, you will have to travel all the way from The Ledge, then to the Rocky Climb, the Lower Prison, The Prison proper and finally the Upper Prison (which is thankfully empty otherwise).
- In Upper Prison just follow the blood trail to get to Brutus.
- Once you have defeated him, proceed further and exit the dungeon through the Prisoner’s Gate (The waypoint will always be just outside, down from the stairway).
- Retun to the Shore Encampment and talk to Tarkleigh to receive a skill gem as your reward.
The Marooned Mariner
- This quest is given to you upon finding the corpse of the Slave Girl (containing the Allflame quest item and appearing as a large green dot on your map) while traveling in the Ships Graveyard (entrance located at the end of the Prisoner’s Gate ).
- Once the AllFlame within your inventory, travel to the lower part of the Ships Graveyard to find the wrecked ship of Captain Fairgraves.
- Tip: if you’re in a group you don’t need to have the All Flame to kill Fairgraves and finish the quest.
- Upon starting a dialog with him he will turn into a unique undead and spawn several skeletons that will immediately attack you.
- Once he has been defeated, return to the Lioneye’s Watch and talk to Bestel to receive your reward of 1 free skill point.
- This is an optional quest!
The Siren’s Last Cadence
- This quest is given to you by talking to Nessa in Lioneye’s Watch after entering the Cavern of Wrath or alternatively upon entering Merveil’s Lair and requires you to kill Merveil (entrance from Ship Graveyard -> The Cove -> Cavern of Wrath -> Cavern of Anger -> Merveil’s Lair.
- Note that Merveil can be somewhat hard to kill if you encounter her unprepared as she use both melee & ranged attacks while in siren’s form (her ranged attack include both Fireball & Cold Snap).
- If necessary equip gear with cold resistance for this fight.
- Once you have defeated her for the first time, she will then transform into her real form and spawn several monsters to assist her.
- Kill her again and proceed further to Act II.
Contrary to Act 1 where progression is quite linear, Act 2 requires you to complete quests at several locations starting on either side of the Forest Encampment (Old Fields & River Crossings respectively).
The Great White Beast
- Upon reaching the Forest Encampment for the first time, speak with Yeena to learn about a beast inhabiting The Cave located in the Old Fields.
- Find the entrance of the cave (appearing as an orange dot on your map, fairly random location in Old Fields) and make your way through it until you encounter The Great White Beast ; slay it then return to the Forest Encampment and claim an unidentified rare ring as reward from Yena.
- This quest is optional!
Deal with the Bandits
There are 3 different bandit leaders which you can either side with or kill in order to get different rewards. You will get this quest after you finish Through Sacred Ground and Intruders in Black quests.
- Kraityn: Located in Broken Bridge (entrance located in Old Fields -> Crossroads -> Broken Bridge)
- Reward for siding with him is a permanent increase of +8 to all elemental resists (excluding chaos resistance).
- Cruel and Merciless difficulty rewards are 8% attack speed and 1 maximum Frenzy charge, respectively.
- To get to Kraityn’s location you can just follow the road. He’s far east or northeast of the map.
- Alira: Located in Alira’s Camp (entrance located in River Crossings -> Western Forest -> Alira’s Camp).
- Fairly easy to kill bandit, summons zombies and uses Corpse Explosion.
- Reward for siding with her is a permanent increase of 30 Mana.
- Cruel and Merciless difficulty rewards are 4% cast speed and 1 maximum Power charge, respectively.
- To get to her just follow the road until you get to a torch, which marks the start of a mud road that leads directly to her camp.
- Oak: Located in Pools & Streams (entrance located in River Crossings -> Vaal Ruins LvL-1 -> Vaal Ruins LvL-2 -> Pools & Streams).
- Note that access to Vaal Ruins require completion of ‘The Weaver’s Needle’ and ‘Delving into Sin’ side quests.
- Reward for siding with him is a permanent increase of 40 Life
- Cruel difficulty reward is 18% physical damage, and 1 max Endurance charge on Merciless.
- Following the river in Pools and Streams will lead you to the waypoint and Oak’s camp.
And finally you can choose not to side with any of the bandit leaders and simply kill each of them. If you choose to do so, simply turn-in the 3 amulets pieces to Eramir in the Forest Encampment. Reward for killing the three bandit leaders is a free skill point (on all difficulties). My recommendation is to take the free passive skill point if you’re in a dilemma as it’s usually the most valuable reward, at least on normal difficulty. At this time there’s no way to change bandit quest rewards later on, but GGG has mentioned it will be available in the future.
No matter if you’ve sided with one of the bandit leader or if you’ve killed them all, completion of this quest will provide you with the quest item Apex which you will use on the Dark Altar in Pyramid to summon the last boss Vaal Oversoul and open the gateway leading to Act 3 (note: be sure to exit the Vaal’s chamber through the exit once you’re done, not through a portal, or you will have to kill him again).
The Weaver’s Needle
- This quest is given by Silk in Forest Encampment.
- It requires you to venture into The Weaver’s Chambers (entrance located in River Crossings -> Dark Forest -> The Weaver’s Chambers) and kill The Weaver (a unique giant spider) in order to retrieve the quest item Maligaro’s Spike.
- The reward for completing this quest is a skill gem.
Intruders in Black
- This quest given to you by Greust in Forest Encampment requires you to travel to Chamber of Sins LvL2 (entrance located in Old Fields -> Crossroads -> Chamber of Sins LvL1 -> Chamber of Sins LvL2 -> Chamber of Sins LvL3), save a pretty girl and locate the Strange Device containing the quest item Mysterious Skill Gem.
- It is guarded by a unique boss-type monster named Fidelita the Mourning whom you are not required to kill in order to complete the mission.
- Return to the Forest Encampment and talk with Greust to receive a skill gem as reward.
The Cathedral of Bones
- This quest is given upon discovering the entrance of Vaal Ruins in River Crossing; completion requires you to complete both previous quest The Weaver’s Needle & Through Sacred Ground.
- Talk to Greust, Silk & Yeena in Forest Encampment.
- Once you have Maligaro’s Spike & the Mysterious Skill Gem in you possession, roots (in River Crossing) preventing access to Vaal Ruins will be cleared allowing you to progress further.
Through Sacred Ground
- This quest is given to you by Yeena in Forest Encampment and requires you to travel to Church Dungeon Lvl 2 (entrance located in Crossroad -> Fellshrine Ruins -> Church Dungeon Lvl 1) and locate the Altar containing the quest item Golden Hand.
- Once you have acquired the Golden Hand simply return to Yeena to receive 2 free respec points.
Root of the Problem
- Go to River Crossings and find an entrance to Vaal Ruins. It’s guarded by magic roots for which you will need a specific item obtained with other quests.
- If you intend to do any XP grinding I recommend you do it before you start this quest, as it turns day into night in every area which makes it harder to farm (less sight radius).
- You can find the entrance to Vaal Ruins by following the road in River Crossings; once you find two pillars/stones follow the dirt road and you’ll reach the roots.
Shadow of the Vaal
- The quest requires you to kill Vaal Oversoul. From Pools and Streams go to Waterfall Cave through which you need to proceed to the Pyramid. After combating countless skeletons you’ll meet up with Vaal himself, for whom a bit of lightning resistance is recommended.
- He also spawns additional monsters and has a nasty melee punch that may one-shot you instantly so group up if necessary. After you’re done take the exit to City of Sarn (if you use a Portal back to Forest Encampment you might have kill Vaal again).
Lost In Love
- Upon arriving to the encampment of Sarn, speak with Maramoa to receive this quest; Clarissa & Tolman have gone missing and you must investigate Sarn Slums to find more of their whereabouts.
- You’ll know your nearing your objective when you’ll be attacked by a group of Guards and their commander. Talk to Clarissa and learn that Tolman has been captured by Piety and taken to the Crematorium.
- Locate the waypoint within Sarn Slums and enter the nearby Crematorium. Proceed to the level 2 and at the very end you’ll meet with Piety and her remaining guard escort.
- Note that Piety delivers quite a nasty jolt with her lightning abilities and that you should probably get some resistances before you fight her on your first playthrough.
- Once you have damaged Piety to half of her health bar she will escape.
- Investigate Tolman corpse to obtain his Bracelet, talk to Helena nearby and head back to Sarn to claim a skill gem as your reward from Maramoa.
- Upon completion of the quest Lost In Love, talk to Clarissa who has now returned to Sarn and she will exchange you the Bracelet for the Sewer keys.
- Once you have the keys in your possession, you will be able to open the sewer grate and access the sewers located in the Slums, the Warehouse or the Marketplace. It is not important which one you access first as all sewers are interconnected. I recommend you start in Slums Sewers and continue from there (entrance is roughly in the middle of the zone).
- Your next task consist in finding a large room containing a Stash (appearing as a green square on your map) which will contain a Golden Bust in each of the 3 locations listed above.
- Once you have acquired all 3 Busts return to Sarn and speak to Hargan to receive 2 free respec points as well as 1 passive skill point.
- Progression basically looks like: Sarn Slums > Slums Sewers > Warehouse Sewers > Marketplace > Marketplace Sewers. Before you leave Warehouse Sewers be sure to take the waypoint, you will need it later.
The Gemling Queen
- You receive this quest from Grigor in Sarn immediately after completing Crematorium (Lost in Love).
- Quest requires you to find Lady Dialla in Solaris Temple. You’ll have to fight through 3 levels of carpets and/or window blinds to get to her, but it’s well worth it in terms of rewards and necessary to progress as she will give you the following two quests as well.
- Fiery Dust requires you to use the Infernal Talc to get past the Undying blockage in the Warehouse Sewers (just west of the waypoint).
- You can obtain it in Docks (if you don’t have a waypoint just join a public group, there’s always at least one).
- Bring the quest item from Docks to Lady Dialla.
The Ribbon Spool
- Lady Dialla wants you to grab her a Ribbon Spool. You’ll find it in Battlefront next to a named boss (roughly the center/southwest of the zone).
- You don’t have to kill the boss if you find it too difficult, simply loot the chest, take the Spool and run.
Sever the Right Hand
- This quest requires you to kill General Gravicius, a nasty boss located in Barracks for which you may want to get your fire resistance up a bit.
- Take a waypoint to Barracks and find an exit to Lunaris Temple.
- Lunaris Temple has a waypoint at level 2, and it’s quite long so be prepared.
- Piety might be hard to kill on Cruel and Merciless so group up with other players if necessary.
- Reward for killing Piety are 2 skill points.
A Swig of Hope
- Given to you by Captain Fairgraves in Docks (next to the waypoint)
- You need to find Decanter Spiritus and Chitus’ Plum in Imperial Gardens and The Hedge Maze
- Reward is a rare item
A Fixture of Fate
- Given to you by Siosa in The Library (ghost right next to the waypoint)
- Find the entrance to Archives in The Library and look for four Golden Pages
- Return to Siosa and receive support skill gems as a rewards
Sceptre of God
- Find and kill Dominus, the last Act III boss
Be sure to check out this article to find out the locations of all waypoints throughout Wraeclast.